Test: 1 Day
Test of 4 skills: reading, writing, speaking and listening
Certificate: Received within 21 days
Approved: UK Visa and immigration
You must pass a Secure English Language Test (SELT) in at least CEFR level B1 in Reading, Writing, Speaking and Listening for:
- Skilled Worker visa
- Health and Care Worker visa
- Scale-up Worker visa
- Student visa (although UKVI requires a B1 test, some institutions require B2 — please check with your sponsor)
Prepare for your test
There are two ISE I exam modules – Reading & Writing and Speaking & Listening.
- The Reading & Writing part of the test is 2 hours long
- The Speaking & Listening part of the test is 18 minutes long, and conducted via a Trinity tablet device which will be set up by your personal steward.
For a Secure English Language Test (SELT), both modules are taken on the same day at a UK Trinity SELT Centre. Candidates must pass both modules for an ISE I (B1) qualification.
Take with you to the test
- You must take proof of identity (ID) to the SELT test centre. Please read Trinity’s Candidate ID policy for SELTs.
- Remember to download and complete a Topic Form to take to the exam for discussion with the examiner.
- Completed Topic Form – ISE I – example content for a topic discussion.
- Special needs requests
- For further visa guidance, please visit the UK government Home Office website
What do CEFR, SELT and GESE mean?
- CEFR = Common European Framework of Reference for Languages
- SELT = Secure English Language Test
- ISE = Integrated Skills in English